Books & Media
In 1995, Joan Cassel purchased a dozen books from Hod Gray with the Special Needs Project, which marks the beginning of our library. Support for Families maintains an extensive collection of resources for families and professionals comprised of multi-lingual books, periodicals, reference materials and media related to children with disabilities and special health care needs. The library is open to the families and professionals with free borrowing privileges.
Toy Lending Library
Our toy collection is dedicated to the memory of Terri Brown, of San Lorenzo, CA. Terri started a toy library for Joshua, her grandson, who was ill, and opened it in her garage for neighboring children and children with special needs. After her death, her toy library was donated to Support for Families for the use of our families.
Staff and volunteers choose toys that support inclusion, are sensory-friendly, and are organized by developmental stage in order to help families choose appropriate toys for their child. The library helps families explore the importance of play with their children while also offering a chance to try out toys that are designed to help with specific skills before purchasing them.
The toys on our library shelves are just a small representative sample of what we have to offer! Looking for more toys like the ones displayed? Ask a Support for Families staff member to explore our full collection!
iPad Lending Program
Early Literacy Kits
Explore early literacy with your child through Support for Families’ Early Literacy Kits!
Support for Families has Early Literacy Kits for ages 0-18 months, 18-36 months and 3-5 years and they are available in English/Spanish and English/Chinese.
Each Literacy Kit features a variety of tools to involve parents/guardians and their children in the promotion of reading and early literacy, including:
- Early Literacy Tip Sheets
- Library Resources
To check out one of our Early Literacy Kits, stop by our library at the Family Resource Center
(MWF 9:30am - 4:30pm & TuTh 12:30pm - 8:30pm) and explore the Early Literacy Kit Wall!
Our Library contains over 3500 books and audio-visual materials, including:
- Over 200 toys providing opportunities for children with disabilities to experiment with a variety of developmentally appropriate toys
- Spanish and Chinese language collection
- National, state, and local disability related periodicals
- Magazines relating to various disabilities
- A large collection of pamphlets, flyers, info packets, etc. from local agencies and organizations that provide services, programs, and special events for our families
- Member of BayNet - Multi-Type Library Association
- Member of California Library Association
- Member of Bay Area Disability Services Librarians (BADSL)
- One of 4 Northern California Parent Training and Information Centers (PTIs)
- Network member of Family Resource Center Network of CA (FRCNCA)
- Council member of Family Voices of CA (CAFV)
- Searchable online Library Catalog of our books, pamphlets and audiovisual materials.
- Librarian reference assistance by telephone, email, fax and in-person
- Self check-out and check-in of library materials
- Easy access to in-library reference books, newsletters, magazines & catalogs
- Internet access to Support for Families' online resources
- Join the Support for Families Email List for current and archived information about children and youth with disabilities.
- Referrals to public, non-profit, or special disability libraries in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Public computer with internet access and Microsoft Office software
- Reading areas
- Free printing and photocopying
- User-friendly browseable book stacks